You would think because I have a blog (two actually) that I am open about who I am as a person. Yet, in real life, I’m more reserved and keep a lot of things private. This is definitely the case in my professional life. I like to keep my private life private while at work. But sometimes, it’s a good thing to open up and share a bit more about yourself so that you can make connections to people. So, here are 20 random things about me that you may know or not know.
My favorite book is Gone with the Wind. The first time I read the book, I put it down after the first chapter. I hated it. About 6 months later I picked it up again and fell head-over-heels in love with the book. It is now my absolute favorite book and I think everyone should read it. I’m not sure exactly why it’s my favorite, but I’m guessing it’s because I identify with Scarlett and also because I love Rhett. And my favorite quote, “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
- My favorite song is “Iris” by the Goo Goo Dolls. I can listen to this song on repeat all damn day without getting bored of it. I saw the Goo Goo Dolls live a couple years ago in Portland and their encore song was “Iris.” I can now die happy.
- My favorite band is Hootie & the Blowfish. And I love country music.
- I left the US for the first time in 2006 at the ripe old age of 19. I went to Italy for two weeks for a college English course. And now I can’t wait to escape from home to explore the world every chance I get.
- I am an Ironman. I completed my first Ironman (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) in 2013 in Lake Placid, NY. I dealt with major IT band/hip issues leading up to the race that resulted in subpar run training. My knee gave out at mile 18 of the marathon and I walked the rest of the way to the finish line. I carried a photo of my mother in a plastic baggie in my sports bra and I cried as I crossed the finish line (mostly from pain, fatigue, and happiness).
- My mother passed away almost 6 years ago from a very rare neurological disease called Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) that plagues about 1 in a million every year. I was close with my mother and I miss her every day.
- I grew up riding horses competitively for 10 years. I had 3 horses: Duke, Mystery Knight (Myst), and Bold Princess Leo (Phoebe). I rode everything from show jumping to western to barrels.
My parents surprised me with Duke when I was 9 years old. They told me they bought me a horse and I didn’t believe them until we picked him up the next day. That horse was the best investment my parents made and I will be forever grateful for that $900 horse that no one wanted.
- I have only fallen off a horse 5 times in my life. One of those times almost killed me. I don’t remember much of the day, but I woke up being strapped to a backboard by a bunch of firefighters. I managed to hit my head so hard that I developed a contusion to my brain and had a grand mal seizure. The pediatric neurologist told me afterwards that if I wasn’t wearing a helmet I would have been dead. So children, always wear your helmet!
- I love everything about water. I love to swim, sail, and just be around the water. I’m excited to learn to sail (again) in Greece in May and I also want to learn to row this summer.
- I’ve decided to name all my dogs after my favorite presidents. My first (and current) dog’s name is Reagan. Next up is either Washington or Lincoln.
- My favorite word is “Serendipity.” I’m not sure why, but I do love the sound of it as it rolls off your tongue. I hate the word “skivvies.” My father calls underwear that and it makes me cringe. Just typing that out makes me cringe like nails on a chalkboard. Ahh!
I have a tattoo on my left foot that says “strength.” I got it to remind myself that life will throw lemons and fireballs at you, but if you remain strong, you can conquer anything.
- If I had to pick one outfit to wear for the rest of my life, it would be Lululemon yoga pants, a plaid flannel shirt and boat shoes. Actually, stratch that. I hate shoes. Barefoot all the way. And, yes, I am from Maine.
- I’m your typical New England, hardworking Puritan girl, but I’ve always felt like I should have been a southern belle. That’s why I’ve been looking at grad schools in the land of sweet tea, humidity, and that southern twang.
- I hate coffee. I like nothing about it. The smell. The taste. Just yuck. I love tea. I drink my tea black. But, I hate ice tea.
- I don’t like Californian wine. I don’t believe it is real wine. Give me something from Argentina or France. As much as I love wine, Champagne is my drink of choice. Want to win my heart, bring me a good bottle of wine or champagne.
- If I was born a boy, my parents would have named me “Emmitt Ichabod.” I’m not sure what my father was smoking when he picked out that name, but I do wish my middle name was Ichabod.
- If I could pick my dream job, it would be a fighter jet pilot. But, since I am now terrified of flying and heights, I would be a professional student. I love school.
- When I was about 5 years old my family drove up to the top of Mount Washington (NH) on our way to Storyland. I remember it being very windy and cold. I refused to get out of the car because I was convinced my father was going to push me off the mountain.